THE HISTORY

Racing in Moruya commenced around 1870.  For many years, the races were run at the “old” Moruya Racecourse in the centre of Moruya township, where the Showgrounds and Golf Course are now situated.

The current Racecourse at Donnelly Drive was opened in 1985.  In 1987, the Moruya Jockey Club Ltd was incorporated as a public company under Articles of Association, which hold today.

THE PRESENT

The Racecourse is the property of Eurobodalla Shire Council, leased by the Moruya Jockey Club (MJC) to hold race meetings and to facilitate racehorse training.  The MJC is responsible for the operation, maintenance and development of the facility.

The Club is managed by the Secretary/Manager and a Board of Directors, the latter all volunteers.  The Directors meet monthly.